African Fashion on Film, shorts collection
- Boys of Soweto, Dir. Meja L. Shoba, South Africa, 2013, 4min
Boys of Soweto depicts black dandies as everyday birds of paradise engaging in yet another competition of courting the neighborhood girl.
- Gug' Othandayo - A Tribute To The Air Max, Dir. Sizwe Mbiza, South Africa, 2018, 1min
Gug' Othandayo - A Tribute To The Air Max shows the cast of the play in the iconic sneaker reminding us that with fashion age is nothing more than a number.
- Inner Cruise, Dir. Selly Raby Kane, Senegal, 2013, 3min
Inner Cruise takes Selly Raby Kane’s conceptual styling to a somewhat post-apocalyptic urban landscape. A woman dreams of these architectural spaces that are devoid of people except her partner in dress and journey. Their clothes mimic the landscapes and spaces they purposefully wander around.
- Illegal, Dir. Daniel Obasi, Nigeria, 2017, 5min
A visual experience exploring sexuality, gender fluidity and non-conformity from a contemporary African perspective through fashion and fantasy.
- Peau de Chagrin / Bleu de Nuit, Baloji, Congo, 2018, 10min
Baloji’s Peau de Chagrin / Bleu de Nuit is utilizing nature as the background for a spiritual fantasy world. Peau de Chagrin / Bleu de Nuit is the accompanying visual narrative for the eponymously named son on Baloji’s 2018 album, 137 Avenue Kaniama. The Congolese-Belgian artist, musician, poet, and film director creates an allegorical dreamscape to accompany a song about the struggles of falling, being, and staying in love.